In an effort to keep italki clean and focused on language learning and respectful cultural exchange, we’ve developed a list of 10 things you should not do on italki. We’ve included some examples below so you know what we’re talking about and also what kinds of spam and scams to watch out for and to avoid. We’re always trying to improve italki to make it more beneficial to language learners everywhere. Thanks for your support.
1) Ask inappropriate questions
2) Send people you’ve never met love letters
3) List the same language under both “I speak” and “I’m learning”
4) Send people spammy messages
5) Try to scam people by asking for their email address, bank account number, home address, or other information
6) Use italki to promote competing commercial interests
7) Post naked, semi-nude, suggestive, or scantily clad photos of yourself or anyone else
(sorry no photo)
8) Post your email address publicly (in comments, groups, answers, etc). This will lead to more email spam.
9) Reply to people who say they love you or have a crush on you because they read your profile. Yes, We know it’s the same letter as #4, but spammers will try to get you anyway they can!
10) Disrespect fellow italki members
Although they didn’t make the Top 10 list, there are a few more Dis-Honorable Mentions that you also shouldn’t do on italki.
• List “Other” for your speaking or learning language when your language is clearly listed as a choice
• Get mad if someone doesn’t accept/reply to your “Chat Now” invitation
• Post Help me practice English (or any other language) in Answers
If you have other items you think should be added to this list, feel free to write them in comments below, or add them to the Knowledge page. If you find members engaging in spamming or scamming, please report them to email@example.com