italki.com is a free language learning website where you can find everything you need to learn a language online. italki applies Web 2.0 concepts, such as social networking, user-generated content, and crowdsourcing, to language learning. italki is home to a global community of language learners representing over 90 languages worldwide. This website is one of the first social networks focused on learning foreign languages and continues to be an innovator in this space with features such as multimedia chat, socially-driven questions and answers, open-source file sharing, and collaborative knowledge-based wikis.
italki believes that being able to communicate in a foreign language is an increasingly critical skill, and that the internet is radically changing how a language can be learned. While globalization is making foreign language skills a necessity, technology and italki are making acquiring them easier. With italki, anyone, anywhere in the world can learn a language for free.
italki helps people learn foreign languages. italki intends to become the leading platform for online language learning by using Web 2.0 concepts to provide users with the most complete language learning tools available on the net.
italki.com’s features include:
* Helping students find native speakers to practice speaking a foreign language
* Giving language learners the ability to communicate online in text, voice, and even video
* Using social solutions to solve problems, such as harnessing the community to answer language questions
* Providing a platform for sharing free open-source language learning materials (download and upload)
* Recommending other resources on the web
* Providing a space for people from around the world to experience and learn about other cultures