Position: Senior Software Engineer – Python
italki is seeking a senior software engineer with experience in Python development. Ideally you should have worked on Python-based web applications, and are up-to-date with the latest Python frameworks, trends, and practices. Ideally, you should also have experience building highly-scalable systems using open-source technologies in concert with Python-based applications.
You must be able to work in a startup environment. You must be able to think through longer-term code and architecture issues, while being able to develop new products.
We are looking for someone with a Chinese or international background, who appreciates working in a multicultural team, and building product for an international customer base.
We are a fast-growing tech startup looking for an individual who wants to be part of an exciting, yet friendly working environment. The position is based in Shanghai, China. Candidates from other locations need not apply.
Work closely with an international development team to build rock-solid, high-performance web applications based in Python. You should be able to quickly react to changing requirements, and help architect highly-scalable applications using a wide-variety of technologies. Help guide and lead other team members to build an awesome user experience.
You are a quick learner with excellent coding habits, and you are enthusiastic about the latest technologies for web applications and services. You also have good communication skills (English and Chinese is a plus!) and work well in groups.
You are also self-motivated and have excellent organization and planning skills. You have experience as a leader in small teams, whether team organization or technological leadership.
Required Skills and Knowledge
- Expert-level development skills in Python
- Expert-level knowledge using various testing methodologies/principles (regression, unit, integration, automated) and continuous integration
- Highly experienced with at least one Python web/HTTP framework
- Experience using Python’s Tornado framework
- Have in-depth experience working with MySQL or a MySQL fork
- Ability to write highly-optimized SQL queries
- Built applications using Redis, and be familiar with Redis data types and usages
- Have worked with “Big Data” technologies
- Ability to work in Linux environments
- Must be willing to relocate to Shanghai, China
Preferred Skills and Knowledge
- Expert-level experience with Python’s Tornado framework
- Working knowledge of Redis scalability
- Experience managing and configuring Python, Nginx, and MySQL in a Linux environment
- Startup or small team experience preferred
- Experience working on fast-growing social networking or e-commerce sites
- Experience working with a continuous integration environment
- Working knowledge of Agile methodologies (Scrum)
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science or equivalent preferred (but hey, that doesn’t mean you have to have one)
- Master’s degree in computer science or equivalent would be a big plus
- 5+ years of software development experience
- 3+ years of Python web-application development experience
- 2+ years using highly-scalable distributed systems or data stores
italki.com is the leading social network for language learning with over 2 million users from over 200 countries joining to learn together on one platform.
We help language learners improve their speaking fluency and listening skills by connecting them with language partners and teachers. We also provide tools and resources for learners to have any language question answered, and essays corrected by the community.
italki has been named as one of the top 5 language learning products by The Independent, as well as being featured in press such as Mashable, TechCrunch and The Guardian.
All interested candidates please send a resume to firstname.lastname@example.org