Quick video introduction to the italki Messenger:
We are delighted to announce the launch of italki’s first iPhone App – the italki Messenger!!
You can think of our app as the “WhatsApp” for language learning (or Kakao in Korea) or 微信 / WeChat in China). With the italki Messenger, you can instantly chat with other learners around the world on your iPhone. We think this opens up a whole new way to learn a language.
What can you do on the italki Messenger?
- Find language partners from around the world (e.g. Spanish speakers from Mexico)
- Ask partners language questions (e.g. “How do I say ‘efficient’ in German?”)
- Ask for help on pronunciation through recording one’s own voice (e.g. “Is my pronunciation of this Russian word correct?”)
- Get help understanding the meaning of an image (e.g. “What do these Japanese characters in this image mean?”)
- And much more!
What makes italki Messenger different from other chat apps like WhatsApp?
- Language Focus – While WhatsApp is focused on connecting you with your existing friends, italki Messenger helps you make new friends, based on learning a language. You may be interested in learning French, but none of your existing friends want to practice speaking French with you. However, there are lots of French people on italki who would be interested. The italki Messenger lets you connect to them faster.
We have been working on the italki Messenger over the course of this year, and we are really happy to get it on the App Store for you to try out. This is our first version, and there will definitely be some technical issues that we will do our best to resolve – so please be patient! If you have ideas on how to improve the italki Messenger, please feel free to email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
P.S. We’re working on the Android version now!