It’s been almost three months since we announced the launch of our Language Marketplace, and we’ve seen thousands of teachers register to teach on italki. So far, most of our teachers have only been using software like Skype to teach online. However, many teachers have asked us if there were other free tools that they could use to help them teach online. Here are some of our favorites:
Whiteboard – twiddla.com
- Twiddla has a great whiteboard that lets you write and share ideas with multiple participants. It is free, and incredibly easy to use. You can start typing or drawing on it immediately, and all you need to do to share is to send someone a URL. The whiteboard also comes with a text and audio chat, and you can also import pictures and documents .
- You can try marking up this page right here:
Documents – scribd.com
- We’ve been long-time fans of Scribd. With Scribd, you can upload and share word documents, powerpoints, PDF, and other types of files with students and other italki users. We’ve integrated Scribd into the italki Resources section, so when you upload files to italki, all your students need to view it is just a link. This avoids clogging up everyone’s mailboxes, and is a great way to spread the word about your services.
- Note: scribd.com has been blocked in mainland China.
Powerpoint / Slideshows – slideshare.com
- Slideshows or powerpoints can be great tools for teaching or sharing information. Slideshare has a nice way interface for flipping through different pictures and for full screen views. If you like to teach with powerpoints, uploading to slideshare might be a nice option to have.